Getting to Know the Learners: Needs Assessment and Self-Discovery Activities.
Ten Instructional Strategies.
In order to differentiate and meet the needs of the adult ESL Literacy learners in both specialized ESL Literacy and mainstream LINC/Adult ESL programs instructors need to be strategic.
There are various strategies to support differentiated instruction. We are going start with the 10 identified in Learning for Life: An ESL Literacy handbook (pp. 78-84)
- View learners holistically
- View learning as a social activity
- Teach thematically
- Create a print-rich environment
- Create a classroom routine
- Start with oral learning
- Give plenty of time for practicing
- Respect learner's knowledge while providing them with new understanding
- Establish outcomes
- Incorporate technology
See the graphic view of the ten strategies on the right. Before tapping into reading, think how each of the strategies on the graphic can be implemented in your classroom. Peruse the strategies in Learning for Life: An Adult ESL Literacy Handbook (pp. 78-84) to confirm your ideas. This is an individual learning activity.